You may visit the Traffic Court during the office hours of 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. The traffic division is located in the Wilmington City Building—2 nd floor to the right off the elevator or stairs. Please review carefully all information on both the front and back of the citation that you signed and received promising to appear at the time and date specified or paying the waiver by the same date. If you have misplaced your copy of the waiver schedule, it can be accessed through this site.
Traffic Filing Fees
|Basic Court Costs for Traffic Cases||$170.00|
Court Costs are a minimum $170.00 for all criminal and traffic cases.
If you go to trial there may be additional costs incurred for subpoenas; witness fees; etc. These fees are in addition to the minimum $170.00 costs.
Payment of Fines
The Court accepts payment by cash or money order. Money orders should be made payable to the Clinton County Municipal Court, and can be sent through the mail or given to a dispatcher on the first floor of the City Building during times the Court is closed. Please include the citation or the citation number with the payment.
To Plead Not Guilty
If you wish to plead not guilty you must either 1) appear in court at the date and time specified on the citation and enter a verbal not guilty plea, or 2) enter your not guilty plea in writing by the date and time on the citation. 3) Have your attorney enter a not guilty plea in your behalf. You must have the citation number, your complete name and address and a phone number at which you can be reached.
Based on the not guilty plea the court will set a trial date. Once you have entered a not guilty plea you may not withdraw that plea until the date of trial.
If you need to file for an extension of the arraignment or trial date, you must do so in writing no less than three (3) working days before the date set and explain the reason for the request or have a proof of conflict. All continuances will be ruled on and a response will be sent by the court.
If your citation requires a mandatory appearance, report to the Clerk’s office one hour prior to the time stated on the citation on the stated day and date of your appearance which is listed on the lower right hand corner of the citation copy given to you by the officer. You may report directly to COURTROOM to check in for court. Please be prepared to spend some time in Court.
What to bring with you to Court
- Proof of insurance for the vehicle and driver for the date shown on the citation.
- Valid operator’s license or a valid renewed license.
- Proof of vehicle ownership if car was impounded.
- Adequate funds to pay for possible fines and costs which must be paid the day you appear.
- No personal checks accepted
Failure to Appear
Failure to appear in Court as required will result in the following actions:
- Warrant for arrest for failure to appear and contempt of court, which is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine, jail or both. You will be required to post a bond.
- The Court will notify the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles of your failure to appear. The BMV will withhold the issuance or renewal of your driver’s license and registration, and suspend your driving privilege until the case is formally closed.